tired of cancer

i have been in remission for a while now but im so scared that it will come back i was told that after ur done with treatment life is good u dont worry about it anymore THEY LIED! every little bruise or weakness makes me think its back im so worried all the time my mom told me this happens this worried feeling i have all the time it makes me sad and im a happy person! i know im not the only one who feels like this but who eles does?

December 18, 2010 by  
Filed under Survivor Stories

  • Leah Shearer

    Hi there,

    I can totally understand what you’re going through. Trust me when I say that these feelings are all very normal.

    Life after cancer can sometimes be harder than even when you are trudging through it. From an emotional perspective, it is difficult because people tend to think that after cancer is “done” that life should return to “normal” and that the person should just get on with life.

    This is NOT easy. It is so common to have fear and anxiety that the disease will return. The important thing to remember is that you need to express these things to the people around you. Talking these feelings out will help you. Do you have a doctor, a social worker a friend –someone who you can really level with? You need to just get this out.

    Post-cancer life can be so stressful, but you will find a lot of people on this message board who GET it. I’m one of them. As a two-time cancer survivor I’ve been there.

    You will get through this. And you will be happy again…it takes time to heal emotionally.

    So glad you were able to share this. That’s what we are here for.

    Leah Shearer
    TLC Program Coordinator

  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1700330286 Farah Contractor

    i feel the same exact way as you too. i completed treatment a 2 months ago and i get scared when im tired at school, or have a cold. The doctor ssid that after a year and half it most likely wont comeback. My friend who had leukemia had her big ‘I’m-done-with-chemo’ party after two years, so that she wouldn’t get her hopes too high just in case. Whenever I’m with my friends or busy with something, I forget about cancer for a little while. I guess we just have to push through this and take Leah’s advice, she knows what she’s talking about :)

  • http://www.facebook.com/rhartley13 Becky Hartley

    I feel the same way! I finished chemo for a brain tumor a little over a month ago, but I feel even more anxious than during the treatment. Not only is there the chance that my tumor could come back, there are some long-term risks with the chemo I was on, like developing another cancer (mainly leukemia). I know that the chances of anything bad happening again are low, but they aren’t 100% low. I know when looking at something like the weather and there is a 30% chance of rain, I always try and stay positive and say “well that’s a 70% chance of sunshine!” But it’s so much more different than that! It’s not just a chance for rain, it’s a chance for cancer, a chance for going through hell with treatment again, a chance that your life is going to have to change all over again! I think the worst part is that a lot of the main symptoms for something getting worse are all so common. Fatigue, headaches, malaise, pain – all such common parts of being human, but they are also such common beginning symptoms of cancer. It’s hard to not jump to conclusions! It’s just really hard to stay positive when you know what it feels like when something negative happens…

©2009 Teens Living with Cancer. All Rights Reserved.